CD Hood builders are loft conversion specialists in East Anglia, including Cambridge, Saffron Walden and London. CD Hood building contractors are very experienced in loft construction and loft conversions, turning them into usable living spaces in-line with customers loft conversion specifications; from simple bedroom additions, to fully fledged living spaces with en suite and stand alone bathrooms.
Planning permission is not normally required for loft conversions. However, permission is required where you extend or alter the roof space and it exceeds specified limits and conditions.
A loft conversion for your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning, subject to the following limits and conditions:
- A volume allowance of 40 cubic metres additional roof space for terraced houses*
- A volume allowance of 50 cubic metres additional roof space for detached and semi-detached houses*
- No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway
- No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof
- Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house
- No verandas, balconies or raised platforms
- Side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor
- Roof extensions not to be permitted development in designated areas**
- Roof extensions, apart from hip to gable ones, to be set back, as far as practicable, at least 20cm from the eaves
If you are considering a loft conversion then give CD Hood building contractors a call today and one of experienced team will be able to advise you on everything you need to know about loft conversions.